Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gabriel and Wally…



Gabriel received his wheelchair today. In the crowded auditorium he sat proudly with his red baseball hat turned backwards, legs hanging over the seat, his strong arms leaning on the sturdy plastic arm rests. By his side stood his friend who had traveled the journey with him in life and today to the school located in the city of Iquitos, Peru.

When I heard the story of Gabriel,with heart racing I knew that I had to tell him about Wally, my dad. I knew why I had packed this cap for 4000 miles. This is what I told him as I gave him the dark blue baseball hat that had “Wally’s Walkers” on the bill, in honor of my father who could not walk at life’s end

My father’s name was Wally, he died in 1994 with a degenerative disease called Lou Gehrig’s disease. He spent the end of his life in a wheelchair. He was strong, proud, kind and loving…the best example on earth of the love of our Heavenly father. He would have liked Gabriel’s story of determination and hope...

Gabriel contracted polio at the age of seven leaving him unable to walk. Despite his difficulty in getting around, he continued in school, and is currently a carpentry apprentice making tables and chairs. Next year he will be able to start a shop of his own. Gabriel’s illness is not degenerative, but without his determination, love of family and faith it could have been fatal. He is a fighter. He expressed that he is grateful for his friends and his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. He expresses with a smile that the wheelchair gives him a renewed strength and hope so that he can be independent.

Smiling in appreciation, Gabriel proudly took off his red baseball hat replacing it with the dark blue cap with ‘Wally’s Walker’s’ facing forward for all to see.

Gabriel is a carpenter. Wally was a carpenter. Christ was a carpenter.
Gabriel loves the Lord. Wally is with the Lord. Christ is our Lord.

Philipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me"

By Robyn Mitchell-Stong

1 comment:

Ines Franklin said...

Robyn, this is a beautiful, touching story! Thank you for sharing your heart and the stories of Gabriel and your father. Praying for your team!