Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Through Many Eyes...



Today was the much anticipated Campagna de Salud, or the Medical Campaign. Our team of 19, in partnership with Operation Blessing International, were able to minister to approximately 1,000 Peruvians in the Amazon jungle. The Mariners team provided man power and VBS materials, while Operation Blessing provided the medical supplies and staff. In all, there were eight stations: gathering of general information; taking vitals; hygiene education; general practitioners and a gynecologist; optometrist; dentist; then onto the "soul" doctor and finally to the pharmacy. While the parents waited to see the doctor or to get their prescriptions filled, the children participated in VBS. This campaign is completely free of charge to the nationals, many waiting in lines couple hours before the start of the program. Here is a "little" snippet of what our team saw and experienced today.

*Today, a few of us ventured into the neighborhood across the highway from the clinic. We went to find enough water to make fruit punch for 1,000 people. After four stops, we found a store with enough, only to have to trek back uphill, across the highway, through 200 people, back to our "juice station." I was struck by how simple we have it in the U.S. Turn on the tap and "fill 'em up!" is what I think when I'm making tons of fruit punch...today, portable water took on a new significance. -Abbe

*Today was incredible. I had to push myself in so many different areas and I am very thankful I had many people encouraging me throughout the day. -Caitlin

*It was awesome to help the dentists at the clinic. Many, many teeth were pulled. It was a blessing to see so many get treated for so little. It's a blessing to be a blessing! -Dave

*During my prayer, three people accepted Christ as their personal Savior. It was an unbelievable and tremendously moving experience. -Ed aka Pastor Eduardo

*Today was enjoyable but also difficult. Dealing with so many people and giving out supplies was overwhelming but then when I saw people praying for one another, I knew the frustration was worth it. -Katharyn

*My favorite station was the dentistry room, while challenging it was also very rewarding. -Keegan

Throughout the day, helping the many people of Peru, I found one part the most impactful. I really enjoyed being able to have fun and connect with the kids by face painting. It was a great experience, I won't forget. -Marie

*As I was bagging the prescription and adding a toothpaste and a toothbrush, children of the village kept clamoring for "just one toothbrush". From their tone, it was as if a toothbrush was the most valuable possession for them. -Nancy

*I thought that today was a lot of fun but very chaotic with a lot of pushing and shoving. But I'm glad to have been able to make a difference in that community. -Olivia

*It was moving to see people who are sick and don't complain. In the States, we complain about a headache and sore throat; these people are dealing with parasites and chronic conditions. But when you look into their eyes as they receive their medicine, you will see gratitude, relief, and hope. -Raelyn

*As a medical doctor it felt natural to sit behind my "desk" and listen to my patients who looked at me with complete trust to give them what they needed physically. The challenge was to take the time and make the time to share with them that the real physician is Jesus. -Robyn

*I find it amazing that like the boy with the five loaves and fish, I came with five Spanish verbs and five nouns and came back with way more. -Ryan

*Serving the needs of others brings me more joy than anything else...today was amazing. The faces of the people are engrained in my mind - may they know Jesus. -Shelly

*My day was interesting in the dentist room. I heard some cracking teeth. -Spencer

*I loved taking blood pressures to people in triage. It was my first experience doing so, but it allowed me to greet each person individually and to be able to say "Dios te bendiga". Even the momentary contact with each person was meaningful. When a mid-aged woman measured 190/90 and stated she had a headache, I immediately went running to the doctor for help. -Steve

*I loved the way the Mariner's Team worked as one with the people of Iquitos, Peru... we all extended ourselves in the name of the Lord. -Tahwahnah

1 comment:

Ines Franklin said...

Wonderful stories! Were you able to give out the notes from the children at VBS? How were they received? I remember the desperation of people in the jungle, pushing forward worried that they would be left out. It was hard to experience, but impossible to forget. Blessings to you all! Ines :)